Release Date: 03 June 2016
Format: LP Double Vinyl
|Frank Cordell Khartoum Limited Deluxe Coloured 180gram Heavyweight Vinyl 2LP Set + CD
ONE OF THE MOST CELEBRATED WAR SOUNDTRACKS IN BRITISH FILM HISTORY...COMPOSED BY
ACADEMY AWARD-NOMINEE FRANK CORDELL...COMES TO RECORD STORES AHEAD OF ITS FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY..“
Of all the British composers, Frank has that rare ability to make complex ideas look simple... believe me, they’re not!” - Composer Bernard Herrmann (‘Vertigo’ , ‘ Psycho’ , ‘ Taxi Driver’ ) on Frank Cordell For the first time ever, Frank Cordell’s superlative and rousing music for the epic Julian C. Blaustein Production comes to record stores in 2016 - when ‘ Khartoum’ is released in a Super-Deluxe soundtrack package by Stylotone working closely with the composer’s family, The Frank Cordell Estate and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Music Inc.
The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack composed and conducted by Frank Cordell for ‘Khartoum’ has been assembled, mastered and cut at London’s world famous Abbey Road Studios to produce a stunning new master. The audio for this release has been overseen from start to finish by Grammy®-winning engineer Sean Magee, a member of the team that remastered The Beatles Catalogue in 2007 - he was also personally responsible for cutting their recent mono and stereo vinyl editions.
This Super-Deluxe Edition package has been produced to the absolute highest possible standard as if it had been released at the same time as the film, using manufacturers who are able to produce all the parts on exactly the same machines as used in the 1960s.
The ‘Khartoum’ Super-Deluxe soundtrack package is available in a “sandstorm” coloured vinyl edition featuring a spot-varnished 320gsm tip-on gatefold sleeve.
This edition includes:
- 2 x 'Sandstorm' Coloured 180gm Heavyweight 12" Vinyl LP cut at 45rpm
- A ‘Vinyl’ replica CD, housed in a spot-varnished scale-copy of the gatefold sleeve.
- A download card offering exclusive access to high-resolution 24-bit WAV and 320kbps CBR MP3 digital downloads of the entire deluxe soundtrack package.
- A 30” x 40” (762mm x 1016mm) British Quad Film Poster. The poster has been specially printed using original 1960s production processes - matching not only the poster weight of the time but also the correct machine folds (since film posters would be machine folded and inserted into large brown envelopes before arriving in the post at cinemas - this was before digital media, kids!)
- A certificate of authenticity personally signed by Mrs. Anja Cordell, the composer’s widow
To round off this Super-Deluxe Edition package writer and director James Dearden - son of the film’s director - offers a personal insight into the making of this British Empire epic.
[Side 1] 1. Overture, 2. Main Titles, 3. Prologue / Hicks’s Army, 4. The Ambush, 5. Looting Party, 6. The Hour of Prayer, 7. Gordon Meets Gladstone, 8. The Palace Chambers
[Side 2] 1. Zabeir’ s Curse, 2. Up The Nile, 3. Stewart Challenges Gordon, 4. Gordon Returns to Khartoum, 5. Gordon Enters the Mahdi’s Camp, 6. The Mahdi’s Tent, 7. Gordon’s Doubts, 8. Ditch Flooding, 9. Cattle Raid: Parts I and II, 10. Sandstorm
[Side 3] 1. Intermission / Entr’ acte, 2. The British are coming, 3. The Mahdi’ s Guns, 4. Gordon Prays, 5. Khartoum is Shelled / Siege of Khartoum, 6. Battle of Berber I, 7. Battle of Berber II, 8. Execution, 9.Dead City
[Side 4] 1. Wolesley’s Army, 2. The Mahdi, 3. Gordon’s Journal, 4. Severed Heads, 5. Prelude to Battle, 6. Death of Gordon / Finale