Release Date: 04 December 2015
Format: LP Double Vinyl
|Yacht Shangri-La Limited Gatefold White Vinyl 2LP Set + Download
· Back in print for the first time since 2011. White vinyl double LP with 4 illustrated interchangable slipcovers and a gatefold jacket.
· Features hit singles ‘Dystopia (The Earth Is On Fire)’, ‘I Walked Alone’ and ‘Shangri-La’.
· ‘Shangri-La’, YACHT’s second album for DFA Records and the followup to their critically acclaimed full-length ‘See Mystery Lights’, is the duo’s most thematically ambitious work to date, showcasing an
exponential evolution in songwriting and sharp, surreal hooks.
· In contrast to the meditative, mantra-esque quality of their debut, ‘Shangri-La’ is a narrative work. The album explores mankind’s eternal pursuit of Utopia with a soundtrack comprised of compelling pop melodies, fiercely druggy grooves and an endlessly diverse canon of influences. The message here is that the future is a blank slate upon which anything can be imposed. ‘Shangri-La’ is literally YACHT’s idea of Utopia: a place made of songs.
· Never a band to stay in one place sonically, visually or
philosophically, YACHT transformed themselves, taking advantage of a proper studio for the very first time and using more live instrumentation than ever before. Recording in the West Texas desert without an engineer, the duo employed a kaleidoscope of genres, ranging from disco to psychedelia, from Krautrock to punk, all culminating in pure pop.
· ‘Shangri-La’ was performed, mixed and recorded by Bechtolt and Evans themselves. The Utopian illustration featured in the album’s encyclopaedic cover design was painted by iconic science fiction illustrator and three-time Hugo Award-winner Jim Burns.
· Includes a digital download code.
· “It’s not the exquisite crispness of YACHT’s bass lines that makes ‘Shangri-La’ so appealing (though that certainly doesn’t hurt). Rather, it’s the band’s knack for giving weighty ideas the lighthearted gift of
groove.” - LA Times
· “Ironic jape or not, ‘Shangri-La’ captures the DFA label aesthetic perfectly, blending electro post-punk, disco and art-pop with conceptual elan, and icing the cake with dance-friendly production.” - Uncut
· For fans of Hot Chip, Cut Copy, Neon Indian, Toro Y Moi, Tanlines, Phantogram.
Dystopia (The Earth Is On Fire)
I Walked Alone
Love In The Dark
Beam Me Up
Tripped And Fell In Love