Release Date: 11 May 2015
Format: LP Vinyl
|Guantanamo Baywatch Darling… It's Too Late Limited Coloured Vinyl LP + Download
· With ‘Darling… It’s Too Late’, Guantanamo Baywatch sought to harness and manipulate the sparkling sounds from yesteryear, all while staying true to the tape hiss and rough takes of analogue recording. “We really wanted a mixtape compilation sound to the record,” says Powell, and that approach can be heard in both the songwriting and the production. According to Powell, each individual song was approached with all the amps and the EQs on the recording console zeroed out. That meant that every song was recorded with a new template.
· The title track and lead single, ‘Too Late’, perfectly captures this new aesthetic. With Burger Records soul singer Curtis Harding contributing backing vocals and rounding out the classic Motown ballad vibe of the track, ‘Too Late’ is an enormous departure from the trashy Mummies-esque ruckus of their earlier recordings.
· Of course, the band hasn’t completely abandoned the rowdy surf rock of their previous releases - Powell put the finishing touches on the album back at his Jungle Muscles Studio in Portland to keep that rough-hewn feel intact. However, even when he and his bandmates Chevelle Wiseman (bass) and Chris Scott (drums) tread on their familiar territory with songs like ‘Raunch Stomp’ or their cover of Eddie & The Showmen’s ‘Mr.
Rebel’, there’s a newfound clarity, punch and swagger to their sound.
· Throughout the course of ‘Darling… It’s Too Late’ the trio continue to mess with various subgenres, from the dusty Western twang of ‘Corey Baum’s Theme’ to the straight-out-of-Sun Studios rocker ‘Do What You Want’.
· LP is available exclusively to independent retailers in a limited pressing of 90 copies for the UK and Eire, pressed on peaches & cream vinyl with a digital download card included.
1. Jungle Bride
2. Raunch Stomp
3. Sea of Love
4. Corey Baum's Theme
5. Too Late
6. Mr. Rebel
7. Beat Has Changed
9. Boy Like Me
10. Do What You Want