|Fat Possum / Hi Records
Release Date: 26 January 2015
Format: LP Vinyl
|Ann Peebles The Handwriting Is On The Wall Limited Vinyl LP
· Ann Peebles’ final album on Hi Records. Produced by Willie Mitchell.
· On vinyl for the first time in over 30 years.
· Released in 1979, ‘The Handwriting Is On The Wall’ boasted some high-powered funk backdrops but for the most part the album finds Peebles taking on a set of straight-ahead soul numbers in which she was usually either taking a man away
from some woman who didn’t know how to hold on to him, or was warning the ladies why they should stay away from her significant other.
· Peebles is a tower of defiant sass on ‘I Didn’t Take Your Man’ and ‘You’ve Got The Papers (I’ve Got The Man)’, she leaves no doubt about why she’s dating outside her age group on ‘Old Man With Young Ideas’ and ‘Bip Bam Thank You Mam’ alerts listeners to the consequences of not pleasing Ms.
· Willie Mitchell pairs Peebles up with some fullbodied
soul and funk arrangements for these songs and while unfortunately most of the great Hi Rhythm Section were unavailable for this record, the players on board do fine work.
· ‘The Handwriting Is On The Wall’ was Ann Peebles’ last album for Hi and the last new set she would release until 1988 but it captures one of the great R&B singers of the 1970s doing what she does best and here she bows out on a high point.
1. Old Man With Young Ideas
2. Bip Bam Thank You Ma'am
3. The Handwriting Is On the Wall
4. I Didn't Take Your Man
5. You've Got the Papers (I've Got the Man)
6. Lookin' for a Lovin'
7. You're More Than I Can Stand
8. Livin' In, Lovin' Out
9. If I Can't See You
10. Let Your Love Light Shine
11. If You Got the Time
13. Be for Me
14. Mon Belle, Amour (Feat. Donald Bryant)
15. I'd Rather Leave While I'm in Love