Release Date: 01 December 2014
Format: LP Vinyl
|Gravenhurst Offerings: Lost Songs 2000 - 2004 Limited Reissue Vinyl LP + Download
· A collection of unreleased recordings from the early days
of Gravenhurst. Unexpected treasures found in the Gravenhurst archives whilst researching material for the tenth anniversary reissues of ‘Flashlight Seasons’ and
‘Black Holes In The Sand’.
· Comprised of two early demos that differ from album versions in intriguing ways and eight previously unheard songs, the result is a carefully selected and coherent
collection. ‘The Citizen’ contrasts a lyric of urban alienation with an early demonstration of Nick Talbot aka
Gravenhurst’s mastery of acoustic minimalism, while the
strong narrative arc of the title track ‘Offerings’ contains
the earliest incarnation of a recurring Gravenhurst theme:
the indifference of nature and the folly of the human urge
to seek spiritual communion with its destructive power.
· One of four diverse instrumental tracks, ‘Who Put Bella In
The Wych Elm?’ provides a hypnotic soundtrack to one of
England’s most unnerving unsolved crimes. Unable to recall recording some of these tracks, Nick describes the collection as a musical Mary Celeste; a vessel found captain-less and crew-less, with its cargo fully preserved
after many years adrift.
· Includes a download card and sleevenotes from Nick Talbot.
· This is being issued on vinyl alongside a re-press of
‘Flashlight Seasons’, the band’s first album on Warp from
2004 and its companion mini-album ‘Black Holes In The Sand’.
1. The Citizen
3. The Diver
4. Who Put Bella in the Wych Elm?
5. Gas Mask Days
7. For Erin
8. Abilene/Still Water (Outro)
10. Return to Stapleton Road