Release Date: 17 November 2014
Format: LP Vinyl
|Faded Ranger Mechanical Tonight Limited Vinyl LP + Download
· Faded Ranger made their hypnotizing debut earlier this year with a sparkling trio of singles - ‘Be On The Lookout’, ‘Get Together (Right Now)’ and ‘Blindfolds’. Now the duo are ready to unveil their debut album, ‘Mechanical Tonight’, in its full glory.
· Bringing together Nick Maurer’s gift for bite size storytelling and Neville Attree’s intricate, melodic arrangements, the album is an infectious collection of tracks that resonate with a distinctive crossover appeal, while the dynamic beats ensure it still gravitates towards the dancefloor.
· Ex-Greenskeepers frontman Maurer (Chicago) and Gumption Recordings founder Attree (London) first met while DJing at a notorious outdoor party called Girl’s Camp in their adopted home of Heidelberg. Faded Ranger stumbled into existence soon after and has come to represent a meeting of minds borne out of circumstance and driven by musical legacy. ‘Mechanical Tonight’ may be retro in its outlook as the pair work the presence of past influences out of their systems but the melting pot of ideas and references converge at a point of undeniable modern appeal.
· ‘Blindfolds’ and ‘Be On The Lookout’ are filled to the brim with vintage neon shades and proto-house intensity, while the darker synth pop of the album’s title track takes
its tongue-in-cheek inspiration from a drunken robot dancing competition. Lyrical content also plays an integral part in the album’s alchemy like on the tripped-out scifi-dub ‘Pretty Colors’. Then there’s the vicious ambiguity of ‘Come To Me’ and their hypnotic cover of Roxy Music’s ‘In Every Dream Home A Heartache’. In contrast, the album’s introspective moods are achieved with the moody, trip hop referencing ‘Everybody’, ‘Room 101’ and the sultry interlude ‘Wax Orgasmic’.
· With its slow, deliberate groove, vocal hooks and epic arrangement, ‘Get Together (Right Now)’ recalls the halcyon days of house music. The opening cut ‘Going Somewhere’ is an acute representation of the duo’s plethora of influences that should appeal to new and vintage tastes alike, while the album cools out on a poignant note as ‘The Weak And The Strong’ combines classic programming, heartfelt vocals and
shifts of melodic suspense. It rounds off an intriguing panorama of sound that captivates and entertains in equal measures.
· LP includes digital download code.
1. Be On the Lookout
2. Going Somewhere
3. U Don't Care
4. Room 101
5. Come to Me
6. Get Together (Right Now)
7. Mechanical Tonight
9. Pretty Colours
10. Wax Orgasmic
11. In Every Dream Home a Heartache
12. The Weak and the Strong