Release Date: 27 October 2014
Format: LP Double Vinyl
|Sonata Arctica Ecliptica Revisited: 15th Anniversary Edition Limited Gatefold Vinyl 2LP Set
· Finnish melodic metal heroes Sonata Arctica formed in 1996 in the north Finnish city Kemi and, three years later, issued the ‘Full Moon’ demo. This demo was their first foray into heavy metal waters. The trademarks of the band were a fast, yet melodic, keyboard-oriented metal alongside clear and high vocals. With help from Athi Kortelainen and the Tico Tico Studios, the demo found its way to metal label Spinefarm, who released Sonata Arctica’s debut album, ‘Ecliptica’, in Autumn 1999. At first it was only sold in Finland but other countries were soon to follow. Shortly after this release Tony Kakko decided to concentrate more on singing, as opposed to trying to sing and play keyboards at the same time. Mikko Härkin (ex-Kenziner) became a new member and replaced Tony on keyboards.
· While on yet another successful world tour, this time to support their latest studio album ‘Pariah’s Child’, Sonata Arctica swung by the studio to re-record their debut album ‘Ecliptica’, which was released 15 years ago.
· Henrik ‘Henkka’ Klingenberg comments: “When it first was suggested to us by our Japanese label that we’d re-record our debut album ‘Ecliptica’, it felt a bit weird, but somehow the idea grew on us. Being that only Tony and Tommy played on the original one, we thought that it would be a fun thing to do, to give these great songs another run. We’re definitely not trying to re-write history, the original ‘Ecliptica’ is the starting point of this band and a very special album with a certain feel of innocence and enthusiasm which cannot be recreated as such since we’re not teenagers anymore. Having said that, this new version is more of a tribute and an update on how these songs sound when played by our current line-up. We wanted to stay true to the original album as much as possible and not turn this into some weird rearranged project where you couldn’t tell which song was being played. So here it is, the 15th anniversary version of ‘Ecliptica’. Hope you enjoy it, we
certainly had a good time digging into these songs and laying down the tracks.”
· With five Golden discs and many sold out tours, Sonata Arctica firmly grip the history of Finnish metal music while aiming for the future.
· All formats feature bonus track ‘I Can’t Dance’, Sonata Arctica’s version of the Genesis classic.
· Gatefold double vinyl.
1. Blank File
2. My Land
3. 8th Commandment
5. Kingdom For A Heart
1. Letter To Dana
3. Picturing The Past
4. Destruction Preventer
5. I Can't Dance (Genesis cover)