|Soul Jazz Records
Release Date: 29 September 2014
Format: LP Double Vinyl
|VA / Soul Jazz Records Presents New Orleans Soul: The Original Sound of New Orleans Soul 1960-76 Limited Edition Vinyl 2LP Set + Download
· For more than ten years Soul Jazz Records have been exploring and documenting the sound of New Orleans funk. Now they turn their attention to the flipside of this musical coin - New Orleans soul.
· These two musical forms share a lineage that begins with the city’s enormous rhythm and blues explosion in the post-war 1940s and 1950s. New Orleans soul incorporated the soulful vocals of the gospel church, the driving beat of rhythm and blues, as well as traces of the second-line parade bands and the Latinized rhythms of the city.
· Here you will find New Orleans soul in all its glorious variations - from the deep, deep soul of singers Aaron Neville, Willie Tee and Robert Parker to the storming Northern Soul of Maurice Williams and Eldridge Holmes, the funky soul of Eddie Bo, Lionel Robinson and Ernie K-Doe all alongside the Crescent City’s finest soul sisters - Irma Thomas, Betty Harris, Jean Knight, Inell Young and more.
· The main force behind ‘New Orleans Soul’ is Allen Toussaint, a virtual oneman hit-making machine in the 1960s, writing, arranging and producing hit after hit for an unending list of unbelievably talented local singers such as
Eldridge Holmes, Maurice Williams, Betty Harris, Ernie K Doe and Diamond Joe, all of whom are featured.
· New Orleans is also a city of great musical families. Vocalist Aaron Neville was the brother of Art Neville (who formed The Meters) and later in the 1970s joined with brother Cyril to form The Neville Brothers. Soul vocalist
supreme Willie Tee is also known as Wilson Turbinton, who alongside brother Earl, formed the super-heavy funk band The Gaturs and backed the Mardi Gras Indian group The Wild Magnolias.
· Also included here are rare, lost and killer soulful tracks from New Orleans artists Eddie Bo (and protégée vocalist Inell Young), Jean Knight, Jimmy Hicks and Francine King.
· This album tells the story of New Orleans soul and comes complete with extensive sleevenotes, exclusive photography and supreme sound quality.
· Super-heavy, super-loud limited-edition double vinyl album with download code.
Robert Parker - Caught You In A Lie
Willie Tee - First Taste Of Hurt
Curley Moore - Don’t Pity Me
Lionel Robinson - Steppin’ Out
Irma Thomas - What’s So Wrong With You Loving Me
Aaron Neville - You Can Give But You Can’t Take
Maurice Williams - Being Without You
Jean Knight - What One Man Won’t Do Another Man Will
Eldridge Holmes - Worried Over You
Barbara West - Congratulations Baby
Ernie K Doe - Back Street Lover
Betty Harris - I Don’t Wanna Hear It
Aaron Neville - She’s On My Mind
Irma Thomas - She’ll Never Be Your Wife
Eldridge Holmes - Lovely Woman
Jimmy Hicks - Tell Her That I Love You
Diamond Joe - The ABC Song
Eldridge Holmes - Gone, Gone, Gone
Francine King - Two Fools
Eddie Bo - Don’t Turn Me Loose
Aaron Neville - A Hard Nut To Crack
Inell Young - I’ve Never Considered