Release Date: 25 August 2014
Format: LP Double Vinyl
|Eno · Hyde High Life Limited Gatefold Vinyl 2LP Set + Download
· Two of the UK’s most highly respected and influential electronic musicians, Brian Eno and Karl Hyde follow their first collaborative album with a second, ‘High Life’, written, recorded, and released within weeks of ‘Someday World’.
· Following high demand that culminated after rave reviews from the likes of Sasha Frere Jones (New Yorker), Pitchfork, and The Sunday Times, the vinyl format will now be released.
· The success of ‘Someday World’ saw Eno and Hyde play live on Jools Holland and both singles - ‘Daddy’s Car’, ‘Witness’ - playlisted at 6Music.
· Album track ‘Lilac’ has been interpreted through the Eno · Hyde iOS app, available for free download from enohyde.com/app.
· ‘High Life’ takes its name from the Ghanaian music genre and the album itself draws inspiration from the repetitive minimalism of composers like Steve Reich and Phillip Glass and from the polyrhythmic music of Fela Kuti and funk, as well as continuing the work that Eno and Hyde have done separately.
· Brian Eno: “When ‘Someday World’ was finished I felt like we were still on a roll. So I suggested we immediately start on another album, where we extended some of the ideas we’d started, and attempted some of the ideas we hadn’t. I was having difficulty raising enthusiasm for ‘Someday World’ promotional interviews so I thought, ‘Why don’t we just carry on working and invite writers to come and watch us work?’”
· Karl Hyde: “During the ‘90s I vocally improvised through all live performances. Brian’s invitation to be a part of the Pure Scenius ensemble (Sydney Opera House 2009) reignited my enthusiasm for live improvisation, requiring me to go much further, having to create vocal melodies with words to music I had never heard before in front of a packed house. It is a joy for me, therefore, to be a part of this process in the studio as it provides us with the opportunity to return to that fabulous way of working, having to find words and melodies in front of a live audience, only this one was watching us through a magnifying glass.”
· Available exclusively to independent retailers as a 2LP in gatefold sleeve with printed inner sleeves, download code and deluxe art print.
Slow Down, Sit Down And Breathe
Time To Waste It
On A Grey Day
Cells & Bells