Release Date: 16 June 2014
Format: LP Vinyl
|Black Pus & Oozing Wound Split LP Limited Vinyl LP + Download Card
· Thrill Jockey labelmates and kindred spirits Black Pus and Oozing Wound have joined together for a special vinyl-only split release. The LP is presented as a double A-side pressed on virgin vinyl with free download card and cover art from both Brian Chippendale and Sam Nigrosh (Oozing Wound’s visual companion).
· In May 2013 The Empty Bottle hosted one of the nastiest bills in the history of the venue - Chicago thrash upstarts Oozing Wound opening up for Black Pus, the raucous and otherworldly solo project of artist and drummer Brian Chippendale, whose ‘All My Relations’ had been released just a month prior.
Both bands played Earth-shattering sets, leaving all in attendance in the kind of daze that is unique to extended exposure to incredible and incredibly loud music. The bond formed that night between the Pus and the Ooze was instant and it wasn’t long before plans were set in motion for these kindred spirits to occupy the same slab of vinyl. The Black Pus / Oozing Wound split captures both bands’ energy in a raw form.
· The split is not a mere raw blast - it shows a new side to Black Pus and is a teaser for the monster sophomore album from Oozing Wound.
· ‘Blood Will Run’, which opens the Black Pus side of the LP, is the first Black Pus track to feature clean vocals, free of the distortion and hiss that has always masked Chippendale’s vocals, be that live or on record. Chippendale
chose to record the vocals unaffected in order that they could be up front, in the listener’s face. The song deals with the senseless shooting of Jordan Davis by Michael Dunn after a disagreement over loud music coming from an SUV that Davis was a passenger in. ‘Total Eclipse’ is a 14-minute epic that, in classic Chippendale fashion, is driven by his galvanic drumming and caked in glorious noise.
· Oozing Wound provide three tracks that are pure studio creations, the product of editing down 4 hours of audio into one concise 15 minute blast of primitive riffs, bass moans and lurching drums. ‘Ganja Gremlin’ and ‘Aging Punk’ retain the band’s signature reckless abandon and humour but deviate
from the format of the bulk of the songs on the band’s debut ‘Retrash’. ‘All Things Must Pass Out’ is pure, sludgy riff worship.
· “Brian Chippendale is a ball of energy” - The Quietus
· “Brian Chippendale has no interest in making his puzzles easy, but Christ, it’s just wonderful to hear him playing drums” - Drowned in Sound
· “Chicago trio Oozing Wound play loud, brash and snotty crossover thrash with a penchant for the kind of big, obnoxious riffs that can’t fail to plaster a huge grin across your face” - Terrorizer.
1. Blood Will Run - Black Pus
2. Total Eclipse - Black Pus
3. Ganja Gremlin - Oozing Wound
4. Aging Punk - Oozing Wound
5. All Things Must Pass Out - Oozing Wound