|Finders Keepers Records
Release Date: 11 November 2013
Format: LP Vinyl
|X Ray Pop Ding Dong Disques Limited Vinyl LP
· Femme-fronted pocket punk and domestic-synth pop from French DIY workaholics X Ray Pop. Compiled from the mastertapes of the original 1980s privately pressed vinyl LPs and minuscule cassette runs.
· It’s relatively easy to scratch the surface of X Ray Pop, but almost impossible to get to the bottom of. With an iconic moniker, telltale graphic style and demanding ‘buy me’ Day-Glo colour coding policy, the French vinyl output of X Ray Pop as a specialist subject is, at first glance, memorable and achievable. Cocksure fans of Eurowave pop often proclaim X Ray expertise from behind many a record shop counter or blog page but the truth of the matter is that noone, not even the band members themselves, have the knowledge or mental capacity to truly understand this interchangeable, unarrangable and thirty-year sustainable auto-pop combo.
· Peeping out of a warren of unexplored passages, their seminal self-distributed debut singles and appearances on the genre defining ‘Alternative Funk Folie Distinguée’ compilation in 1984 made them an omnipresent fixture for the French tapewave scene that shaped a generation and influenced many more to follow. But beneath the trademark fluorescent sleeves stands the highly stacked foundations of endless cassette-only releases that give this pocket punk husband and wife duo one of the most impressive and elusive back catalogues of all their cut ‘n’ paste French funk contemporaries. Plundering the depths of a self-estimated 400 recorded songs, X Ray Pop founder Didier Pilot has joined up with Finders Keepers sister label Cache Cache to
reassess, rescue and reissue some of the band’s most underexposed sonic snapshots, many of which were distributed in issues of less than 50 up to 500 for exclusive global releases in France, Spain, Portugal, Japan and America (where bands like Brian Ladd and Julie Frith’s Psyclones and The Beastie Boys championed the band as a likeminded inspiration).
· Culled from the ultimate X Ray Pop cassette and vinyl rarities along with previously unheard demo versions (many available here for the first time since their original extremely limited releases).
· Featuring extensive liner notes and exclusive never before seen photos from Dider Pilot’s personal archive.
Bulle De Sang
Marilyn Au Paradis
Rock n Popoff
Oh Oui J'Aime!
Le Bateau Cellulose