Release Date: 15 June 2015
Format: LP Vinyl
|Oufit Slowness Limited Blue/White Swirl Vinyl LP
· ‘Slowness’, the band’s second album due on new label home Memphis Industries, is the sound of their five members snatching intensive weeks to plant themselves in one place, with the tensions of touring, moving and transatlantic relationships still weighing heavy in mind, to create an album with bold presence.
· ‘Slowness’ paints a portrait of distance using haunting piano, piercing synthesizers and guitars, all underpinned by Outfit’s trademark rhythm section. It dwells on physical distance between lovers, the emotional distance when we return and the ways in which we imagine each other thousands of miles apart.
· Over the stuttering synths of opener ‘New Air’, the duelling lyrics of vocalist Andrew PM Hunt and keyboardist Thomas Gorton are rooted in optimism and beckon an unseen presence to join them in a new
life, whilst closer ‘Swam Out’ sees the band go from beaten and worn down to joyfully triumphant over the course of a song decorated with decaying Skype noises and 1am phone calls.
· The album’s contrasting textures and timbres recall late period Talk Talk and other more expansive New Wave outsiders but there is a deep sense of modern life to ‘Slowness’.
· ‘Slowness’ is Outfit’s most cohesive work to date, a marked progression both sonically and emotionally, capturing the harrowing shock of being in love and apart and the stillness of staring into screens. Ultimately though, ‘Slowness’ sounds like a band coming to terms with themselves as artists and people to create an album that celebrates life’s obstacles: a record made between New York, London and Liverpool - a piece of work compelled by distance.
· LP format pressed on blue and white swirl vinyl.
1. New Air
3. Smart Thing
5. Happy Birthday
6. Wind or Vertigo
9. On the Water, on the Way
10. Cold Light Home
11. Swam Out