Release Date: 08 June 2015
Format: LP Double Vinyl
Out of Stock
|FFS Self Titled Limited Deluxe Red Heavyweight Vinyl 2LP Set + Download
· The product of a unique collaboration between Franz Ferdinand and Sparks, ‘FFS’ was produced by Grammy Award winner John Congleton (St Vincent, David Byrne, Anna Calvi) and recorded at London’s RAK Studios.
· The seed of FFS was sown around the time of Franz’s debut album when word got back to the Maels that the band were big Sparks fans. “We thought ‘Take Me Out’ was very cool, and wouldn’t it be nice to say hello when they came to Los Angeles?” recalls Russell Mael. “We met and decided then it would be great to do something together. We put forward a couple demos, one was ‘Piss Off’. But they got swept up by everything, and it didn’t happen at that time.”
· Fast-forward to 2013 when both Sparks and Franz Ferdinand appeared at Coachella. On the day of Sparks’ warm-up show in San Francisco, Kapranos was in the city trying to locate a dentist when he heard a voice behind him: “‘Alex, is that you?’ It was Ron and Russell. They invited us down to see them play that night. We said hello after, and everyone agreed that the
10-year gestation period for this idea was long enough - we should try and make it happen now.”
· ‘FFS’ was recorded during an intense 15-day period in late 2014. “We approached it the way bands do with their first record,” says Kapranos. “We had the songs first, rehearsed them and then recorded it all together, in a room. So no hanging around or fannying about.”
· Very much a ‘new’ project, ‘FFS’ doesn’t truly sound like either band but a striking and fascinating mutation. “The real motivation was to make something new, not ‘Franz featuring Russell Mael’, or ‘Sparks with Franz Ferdinand backing them,” says Alex Kapranos. “You can’t chart what is Sparks and what is Franz Ferdinand,” suggests Ron Mael. “I think each band
unconsciously relinquished a little of who they were in order to enter new territory.”
· Double LP editions feature bonus tracks ‘So Many Bridges’, ‘King Of The Song’, ‘Look At Me’ and ‘A Violent Death’.
· Heavyweight double vinyl formats include download code.
· Deluxe special edition 2LP features red coloured vinyl and is available exclusively to independent retailers.
1. Johnny Delusional
2. Call Girl
3. Dictator's Son
4. Little Guy from the Suburbs
5. Police Encounters
6. Save Me from Myself
7. So Desu Ne
8. The Man Without a Tan
9. Thing I Won't Get
10. The Power Couple
11. Collaborations Don't Work
12. Piss Off