Release Date: 20 April 2015
Format: LP Vinyl
|As It Is Never Happy, Ever After Limited Vinyl LP
· As It Is are fronted by Minneapolis born, Berkshire raised frontman Patty Walters, whose dual YouTube channels broadcast the singer’s video blogs and cover versions of a diverse range of tracks (where the super-musical Patty plays every instrument and handles every element of production) and boast nearly 600,000 subscribers and in excess of 2 million plays.
· With such a wind of fan devotion beneath their wings As It Is spent 2014 in somewhat of whirl, with the renowned Fearless Records (Pierce The Veil, Tonight Alive, Motionless In White) selecting the quintet as the first non-US band to ever be signed to their globally acclaimed roster. Not ones to crack under pressure, As It Is - completed by vocalist / guitarist Benjamin
Biss, guitarist Andy Westhead, drummer Patrick Foley and bassist Alistair Testo - rose to the challenge and locked themselves away in Walters’ attic during the summer of 2014 to write, craft and perfect the material for a debut full length, summoning forth the glory days of Taking Back Sunday, The Starting Line and The Early November - days when heart-on-sleeve lyrical
catharsis perfectly synergized with raw pop sensibility.
· In October 2014, following breakthrough performances at London’s Alexandra Palace as part of
the annual Summer In The City event and a successful national tour with fellow UK act Roam, As It Is travelled to Florida for 5 weeks to commit their future anthems to disc, with the help of revered producer James Paul Wisner (Paramore, Underoath, Dashboard Confessional).
· The resulting songs from these Orlando-via-Patty’s-attic sessions make up ‘Never Happy, Ever After’, a debut album of such accomplished songwriting savvy that it positively belies the band’s average age of 23. “The writing process for the album was predominantly all of us together,” says Walters. “Writing as a band can cause a lot of conflicts and arguments, but for us, we feel it produces our best material. Once all five of us are excited about an idea, we know we’re onto
· Bickering would certainly not be a welcome element in the band’s close creative quarters, particularly when Biss and Walters collaborate on the band’s dual pronged vocal and indeed lyrical output. As Biss explains: “When we write a song, the music always comes first, and from the vibe of the music we pick a theme that we think will suit the song. We then both write separately, even if we're next to each other, and then piece together the best bits of what we have coherently. Sometimes I’ll write a line that Patty loves and he'll splice it with a few things he has and vice versa until we have a song that grasps what we want to convey. It’s like writing lyrics knowing that it’s already relatable to two people rather than just one.”
· For fans of Brand New, A Day To Remember and You Me At Six.
1. Speak Soft
2. Cheap Shots & Setbacks
4. Drowning Deep in Doubt
5. Dial Tones
6. My Oceans Were Lakes
8. Turn Back to Me
9. Can't Save Myself
10. Silence (Pretending's So Comfortable)
11. You, the Room & the Devil On Your Shoulder