|Play It Again Sam
Release Date: 13 April 2015
Format: LP Vinyl
|Gallows Desolation Sounds Limited Purple & Black Vinyl LP
· Dinner is the alias for Danish singer and producer Anders Rhedin. Since 2012, Dinner has released ‘Girl’, ‘You Are Like LA’, a guided meditation tape and, in collaboration with Texas label Red Eye Transit, ‘Oui!’, a four-track EP that serves as a powerful introduction to this idiosyncratic musician.
· Dinner’s songs seem to be inspired by his own life - in the lyrics one can find references to cities, parties and girls (the latter sometimes referred to as the ‘divine feminine’). Dinner himself claims that “All the songs are about death and transcendence.”
· At times, Dinner sounds a bit like a sun-bleached cassette tape you’d find stuck behind your car’s dashboard, last played at a party in Dusseldorf in 1984, full of echoes of sweaty depressions, spiritual longings and earlymorning trances.
· At other times, Dinner sounds a bit like melodic EBM-meets-Europop with elements of Danish darkwave. And sometimes he sounds more like the male
descendant of Nico singing Eno-esque pop songs on discarded Julian Cope tracks.
· Whomever you ask, you’ll find Dinner’s sound defies simple classification. In his own words, his influences range from rock ‘n’ roll and pop giants like Michael Jackson and Velvet Underground, to experimental tape-music pioneers like Steve Reich.
· Dinner lives a somewhat nomadic existence, having alternated between LA, Berlin and Copenhagen. This last year, Dinner’s itinerary has included falling in love with a baroness in Berlin, learning Qigong from a renowned Sifu on a mountainside in the Algarve, working on commercial pop songs in Hollywood
(“The essence of dark magic,” according to Dinner) and playing shows at festivals and galleries all over Europe. His current location is LA, where he is working on his debut full length.
· “His murky, multi-tracked pop miniatures scan as a gothic spin on ’60s girl groups or a John Hughes soundtrack staple (Simple Minds or the Psychedelic
Furs, say) dripping with codeine. His syrupy baritone, meanwhile, evokes Stephen Merritt’s doleful delivery.” - Wondering Sound
· “Seated halfway between the gutter and a glitter covered stage, Dinner (née Anders Rhedin) is Denmark’s great glam-pop hope.” - MTV Iggy
· “Though his sound defies simple classification, it’s a tasty combo of Europop and darkwave.” - Subbacultcha
1. Mystic Death
2. Desolation Sounds
3. Leviathan Rot
5. Bonfire Season
6. Leather Crown
8. Death Valley Blue
9. Cease To Exist
10. Swan Song