Release Date: 17 November 2014
Format: LP Vinyl
|Father Yod And The Spirit Of ’76 Kohoutek Limited Vinyl LP
· Now that the story of The Source Family is out there, as the subject of an acclaimed book and documentary film (as well as an ongoing series of rare, never-before-released recordings), it’s time to turn the focus back on the records that made this whole thing a story in the first place. In the 1990s, it was a revelation to discover that there was a series of records made by a hippie cult led by a big Santa Claus-looking guy named Father Yod. It was of further interest that these records weren’t simple, predictable light-rock recitals about Jesus. Instead, they were darkly psychedelic, stream-ofconsciousness jams, with Father and the members of his band (usually The Spirit Of ’76 and Ya Ho Wa 13) reaching together for divine transformation and often finding it, as Father screamed, pounding kettle drums ecstatically, while the band erupted with coils of enlightenment rock, over and over.
· Records like ‘Penetration, Contraction, To The Principles For The Children’ and ‘I’m Gonna Take You Home’ were amazing home-recorded documents, adorned with hand-drawn phrases and logos and grainy colour shots of what appeared to be truly magical everyday cult life with Father.
· Now we return to the beginning, for the second coming of ‘Kohoutek’. This was the first spontaneous release that was made into a record, credited to Father Yod And The Spirit Of ’76. It came out in 1973, the year of Kohoutek, when the imminent arrival of the big comet spawned a new round of cosmic consciousness in the media and with people all over the planet. This was more than a comet, its radiance was enormous, it came from ancient times to be experienced again by the enlightened people of the day.
· The Source Family were alive with expectation about the return of this longhaired messenger and Father devoted considerable time chanting and eventually changing in his identity to Yahowa while meditating on the comet. Events like these were to be cherished for bringing infusions of energy that could only be accessed via the rare occasions. Life had to be lived in order to grow and the two sides of ‘Kohoutek’ are a special jam that passes through tranquillity to exultation, a tapping of the passing flame in the skies and a greeting from Father to the messenger and bearer of such awesome gifts.
· After the original LP pressing in 1973, ‘Kohoutek’ was issued on CD for the first time as a part of the ‘God And Hair’ box set in 1996; this is the first time the album has been available again on vinyl since the 1970s.
· The album features all of the original artwork, including a far out insert about the comet.
· These emanations from the original Source are pure, uncut spiritual visions from the mid-1970s, not to be missed.
· This release coincides with another Source Family reissue on vinyl - Ya Ho Wa 13’s ‘Savage Sons Of Ya Ho Wa’.
1. Kohoutek Part 1 - Father Yod & The Source Family
2. Kohoutek Part 2 - Father Yod & The Source Family