|Soul Jazz Records
Release Date: 27 October 2014
Format: LP Triple Vinyl
|VA / Soul Jazz Records Presents Black Fire! New Spirits! Deep and Radical Jazz in the USA 1957-75 Limited Vinyl 3LP Set
· Soul Jazz Records’ new release ‘Black Fire! New Spirits!’ is a deluxe triple LP album exploring
deep, radical and spiritual jazz in the USA from 1957 - 1982.
· In the 1960s and into the 1970s jazz music in the USA was in an almost constant state of revolution, with the music and lives of African-American artists radicalised by the advent of the civil rights movement, Black Power and a new spiritual awakening.
· For over 20 years now Soul Jazz Records have been exploring this rich area of deep and spiritual jazz music with an array of albums such as ‘Freedom, Rhythm And Sound’, ‘Universal Sounds Of America’, ‘New Thing’, ‘Soul Jazz Love Strata East’ and more. Soul Jazz Records have also released a steady stream of reissues of lost and classic deep jazz releases over the years from artists such as Art Ensemble of Chicago, Steve Reid, Pharaoh Sanders and others.
· This new album features groundbreaking and revolutionary
artists such as Don Cherry, Archie Shepp, The Last Poets and
Yusef Lateef, as well as many rare and deep lost tracks from
lesser known artists such as Creative Artists Ensemble,
Granchan Moncur, Lloyd McNeill and Tyrone Washington.
· This album coincides with the recent ‘Black Fire! New Spirits! Images of A Revolution: Radical Jazz in the USA 1960-75’ book, published by Soul Jazz Books, which as well as including pioneering artists such as John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Roland Kirk and Alice Coltrane also features many of the artists included in this album.
Yusef Lateef - Chang, Chang, Chang
The Last Poets - It’s A Trip
Don Cherry - Utopia And Visions
Richard Davis - Dealin’
Archie Shepp & Jeanne Lee - Blasé
Harold McKinney & The Creative Profile - In The Moog
Grachan Moncur III & The Jazz Composer’s Orchestra - Angela’s Angel
Creative Arts Ensemble - Flashback Of Time
David Lee Jr. - Second Line March
Lloyd McNeill & Marshall Hawkins - The Banjo Lesson
Tyrone Washington - Universal Spiritual Revolt
Pheeroan Ak Laff - Tzaddi Vau (Part 1)
Joe Henderson - Black Narcissus
Doug Hammond - Spaces And Things (Lopin’ / Meno Mosso)