|Rough Trade Records
Release Date: 18 August 2014
Format: LP Vinyl
|BENJAMIN BOOKER Self Titled Limited Vinyl LP
· Benjamin Booker, Rough Trade Records’ exciting new signing, will release his debut, self-titled album through Rough Trade.
· The album is produced by Andrija Tokic (Alabama Shakes,
Hurray For The Riff Raff). Described as “a well-mixed musical cocktail of punk, folk, and New Orleans blues,” Benjamin Booker cites his influences as The Gun Club, Blind Willie Johnson and T. Rex.
· The young singer-songwriter plays as a two-piece with
drummer Max Norton, both of whom are based in New Orleans.
· Having already gained fans including Tame Impala, toured with Hurray For The Riff Raff and played a string of sold out shows in London, Booker and his drummer Max Norton have been hand-picked to open for Jack White on his US July tour, which will be followed by a series of summer US dates with Courtney Barnett.
· “Benjamin Booker blasted a raw brand of blues / boogie / soul,” observed the Chicago Tribune’s Greg Kot in his SXSW wrap-up. “He likes to leave the rough edges intact, bringing to mind the houserockin’ records that Hound Dog Taylor once did for Alligator Records in the 70s.”
· American Songwriter said “The 22-year-old New Orleans
guitarist / songwriter - joined live by drummer / mandolin
player Max Norton - took the stage as an unknown and…
stepped off the stage a conqueror.”
· “It might look like just two people onstage but Benjamin
Booker’s voice surely counts as a band member in its own right. Soulful and sandpaper-rough…” noted The Guardian, while NME said “he takes the ripped, raw racket of The Dirtbombs and smothers it in fuzzy, inherently moody-sounding riffs that recall The Gun Club and T Rex in equal measure.”
1. Violent Shiver
2. Always Waiting
4. Slow Coming
5. Wicked Waters
6. Have You Seen My Son
7. Spoon Out My Eyeballs
8. Happy Homes
9. I Thought I Heard You Scream
10. Old Hearts
11. Kids Never Grow Older
12. By the Evening