|Late Night Tales
Release Date: 15 September 2014
Format: LP Double Vinyl
|Franz Ferdinand Late Night Tales Franz Ferdinand Limited 180gram Vinyl 2LP Set + Download
Franz Ferdinand are welcomed into the Late Night Tales family with a diverse 20 track selection of musical influences, inspirations, diversions and discoveries.
The quartet have released four studio albums including their 2004 self-titled debut album, which went gold just about anywhere with a record store, as well as nabbing the Mercury Music Prize and a pair of Brits for Best British Group and Best British Rock Act. They’ve subsequently gone on to release You Could Have It So Much Better, Tonight: Franz Ferdinand and last year’s Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action.
Announcing itself with Franz Ferdinand’s own exclusive cover version of the hugely collectible ‘Leaving My Old Life Behind’, originally performed by Jonathan Halper, (which appeared on the cult Kenneth Anger movie Puce Moment), their Late Night Tales mix flows between dark and light, introspection and affection, dancing and horizontal appreciation.
Hear them join the dots between Can, Serge Gainsbourg and The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Sandy's Nelson's percussion work-out 'Let There Be Drums', the irrepressible Ian Dury, funky sensations Zapp and the Disco Dub Band and sonic explorer Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry.
Record collectors will note the inclusion of Carrie Cleveland's Northern Soul anthem 'Love Will Set You Free' - the LP attracts sales of £300+.
Also included are a set of waywardly brilliant cover versions: Justus Köhncke’s dizzy interpretation of Neil Young’s ‘Old Man’ and R. Stevie Moore's ‘I’m Only Sleeping'.
It wouldn’t be right for Franz Ferdinand to produce a mix such as this without a nod to the country that brought them together, so Glasgow’s Life Without Buildings, whose uplifting ‘New Town’ appears alongside ‘Reach For The Dead’ by Boards Of Canada.
As they leave us wondering and wandering with American Spring’s Brian Wilson-produced ‘Sweet Mountain’, we take leave of our senses and suitcases on this tour bus of your mind. We’ve visited soul, funk, reggae, pop, Krautrock and others besides, but before we depart, Franz frontman Alex Kapranos provides a final farewell with the self penned story 'Defibrillator'.
1. Franz Ferdinand - Leaving My Old Life Behind
2. R. Stevie Moore - I'm Only Sleeping
3. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Eighteen Is Over The Hill
4. Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
5. Life Without Buildings - New Town
6. Can - Connection
7. The Liminanas - The Darkside
8. Ian Dury - Reasons To Be Cheerful Part 3
9. Disco Dub Band - For The Love Of Money
10. Zapp - More Bounce To The Ounce
11. Serge Gainsbourg - Requiem Pour Un Con
12. Lee "Scratch" Perry - Disco Devil
13. James Brown - King Heroin
14. Paul McCartney & Wings - Nineteen Hundred & Eighty Five 15. American Spring - Sweet Mountain
16. Boards of Canada - Reach For The Dead
17. Oneohtrix Point Never - Zebra
18. Justus Köhncke - Old Man
19. Alex Kapranos - Defibrillator