Release Date: 14 July 2014
Format: LP Double Vinyl
|Plastikman EX (Performed live at the Guggenheim, NYC) Limited Vinyl LP + Download
· Plastikman’s new album ‘EX’ is the first album release since 2003’s ‘Closer’ and was recorded live at the Guggenheim, New York’s iconic art museum. This very special
performance was at the invitation of influential Belgium fashion designer and artistic director at Dior, Raf Simons, for the Guggenheim’s annual fundraiser, performed around a specially constructed LED obelisk.
· Richie Hawtin explains, “I knew that Raf was a long time Plastikman fan so by accepting his offer to perform at the Dior event at the Guggenheim I knew I’d set myself up to a huge challenge. Although Raf was happy to have the already complete Plastikman Live 1.5 show, I locked myself away in a series of intense studio sessions and quickly recorded enough new material for the performance and realized I might
also have enough for a complete new album. The music came out of me effortlessly as I was very inspired by the opportunity to play in this beautiful architectural space
renowned more for art than music. The location also allowed me to step far away from the dancefloor, giving me a huge amount of freedom to EXplore any sonic ideas that I had. Art, music, architecture, painting, sculpture - these mediums are supposed to live together.”
· Plastikman’s career has pushed at the frontiers of dance music, rejecting first the endless drive for faster speeds and, later, the blatant pop aspirations in favour of more imagination and more musical engagement.
· Richie Hawtin is many things - an extraordinary DJ, creator of the ‘ENTER.’ experience, mastermind behind the M_nus label, technological innovator, art aficionado (in 2011 he collaborated with British sculptor Anish Kapoor for an installation in Paris) and style icon. Before this though, and perhaps most famously of all, he was and is Plastikman, an electronic music phenomenon whose followers are fanatic and legion.
· Plastikman was never going to be a heritage dance act and this latest renaissance opens doors few never knew existed, showcasing a master at work.
· The vinyl format includes a digital download code.