Release Date: 14 July 2014
Format: LP Vinyl
|Luluc Passerby Limited Vinyl LP + MP3
· In a world where instant gratification is the norm, patience has become a rare commodity. For Zoë Randell and Steve Hassett, who make up indie-folk duo Luluc (pronounced Loo-LUKE), letting things unfold in due time not only defines their career trajectory, it also works as a pretty good description of their approach to making music. Music that Sub Pop co-founder Jonathan Poneman describes as “bracing, subtle, tender and magnificent.”
· So while it may seem like Randell and Hassett’s history is littered with all kinds of good luck - from their initial meeting to their relationship with The National’s Aaron Dessner to opening slots with artists like Lucinda Williams,
Fleet Foxes and José Gonzàlez; to their deal with Sub Pop; to grabbing the attention of Nick Drake’s producer - being in the right place at the right time isn’t just about fate. It’s about knowing when something feels right and having the confidence that people will respond when they’re ready.
· There’s no question that everything these Australians (who split their time between Melbourne and their adopted hometown of Brooklyn) have done in their lives has been leading up to this summer’s ‘Passerby’, their second album overall and first available worldwide. Passerby is a gorgeously crafted 10-track album full of beautiful, slow-burning melodies and delicate harmonies, which drip out of their mouths like honey. The attention to detail is unmistakable and highlights like ‘Reverie On Norfolk Street’ and ‘Early Night’ are as haunting as they are hummable.
· Unadorned guitars and voices make up the bulk of the dreamy sound, though the power of the added instrumentation can’t be overstated, with well-placed piano, percussion, double bass, sax, trumpet, trombone and more adding colour to the cosmopolitan atmosphere. Band favourites like Simon and Garfunkel and Gillian Welch (and of course Nick Drake) can be felt throughout ‘Passerby’, while the poignant restraint aligns them well with labelmates Low.
· Co-produced by the band and Dessner, ‘Passerby’ shows off all of Luluc’s best qualities, retaining the gentle beauty of the duo’s debut while adding textures built with a cadre of impressive players. It’s the trophy celebrating Luluc’s airtight case that good things really do come to those who wait. The wait is over. The world is ready to hear Luluc quiet and clear.
· LP includes MP3 coupon.
1. Small Window
2. Without a Face
4. Winter Is Passing
5. Tangled Heart
7. Reverie On Norfolk Street
8. Early Night
9. Gold On the Leaves