Release Date: 09 June 2014
Format: LP Vinyl
|Craft Spells Nausea Limited Vinyl LP + MP3
· After a dormant period following the release of the ‘Gallery’ EP in 2012, Craft Spells’ Justin Vallesteros is back with the gorgeously ambitious ‘Nausea’. It’s Craft Spells’ second proper full length album and first since 2010’s critically acclaimed ‘Idle Labor’.
· Since last on the radar, Justin moved to San Francisco to find a niche in the Bay Area music scene. This proved difficult within the regarded garage rock scene and insular DJ night crowds currently dominating the area’s music community. Here, Justin fell into a slump, creatively.
With a severe bout of writer’s block he retreated to his parents’ house in Lathrop, CA. Away from the city, he put down his guitar for a full year in favour of properly training himself on piano, the instrument with which all the tracks for ‘Nausea’ were written.
· The demos came together in early 2014 and Vallesteros flew to Seattle to produce and record the album, full of ideas and a new found maturity in both songwriting and recording sophistication. Within the first few seconds of lead track ‘Breaking The Angle Against The Tide’ we know we’re not listening to the same Craft Spells anymore. This is a bold, beautiful and lush new sound emphasizing the songwriting abilities Vallesteros always had.
· An album highlighted by loads of piano, real strings and acoustic guitar, this change is like the colour coming alive in ‘The Wizard Of Oz’. The beautiful ‘Komorebi’ with its piano chord progression and sorrowful string accompaniment emphasizes this newfound maturity and confidence as a writer that is the next logical step in Craft Spells’ career.
· ‘Nausea’ could easily have been a record rife with indecision and anxiety but, like the song for which the album is named, Craft Spells was able to turn the chaos and disillusionment into a work that provides ammo against that very thing, with beauty, vision and melody.
· The LP format includes an MP3 coupon.
3. Changing Faces
7. Laughing for My Life
8. First Snow
9. If I Could
10. Breaking the Angle Against the Tide
11. Still Fields