Release Date: 14 April 2014
Format: LP Double Vinyl
Out of Stock
|The Afghan Whigs Do to the Beast Limited 45RPM 180gram Vinyl 2LP Set + Download
· ‘Do To The Beast’ is the first new album by The Afghan Whigs in over a decade and a half. Founded in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1988, the band has long stood out from its peers, with their savage, rapturous blend of hard rock, classic soul, and frontman Greg Dulli’s searing angst and obsessions.
· The new album is both a homecoming - it marks their return to Sub Pop, for whom the Whigs were the first signing from
outside the label’s Northwest base - and a glimpse into the
future of one of the most acclaimed bands of the past twenty
· ‘Do To The Beast’ is an appropriately feral title for one of the most intense, cathartic records of Dulli’s entire career. It adds fresh twists to The Afghan Whigs canon: there’s the film noir storytelling of ‘Black Love’, the exuberance of ‘1965’, the brutal introspection of ‘Gentlemen’. However, the album exudes a galvanized musical spirit and rhythmic heft that suggest transcendence and hope amidst the bloodletting.
· Recorded in LA, New Orleans, Cincinnati, and Joshua Tree - a virtual map of the band’s past and present homes, the album features Whigs co-founders Greg Dulli and John Curley, along with the core band of guitarists Dave Rosser and Jon Skibic, multi-instrumentalist Rick Nelson and drummer Cully
Symington. Also featured are soul iconoclast Van Hunt, Mark
McGuire (Emeralds), Johnny ‘Natural’ Nagera (Usher’s musical
director), Alain Johannes (Queens Of The Stone Age, Arctic
Monkeys), Clay Tarver (Bullet LaVolta, Chavez), Dave Catching (QOTSA, Eagles of Death Metal), among others.
· The Afghan Whigs will tour worldwide in support of ‘Do To The Beast’, kicking off an extensive jaunt with a performance at Coachella 2014 in late April.
· 45rpm 180gram coloured double vinyl includes digital download coupon.
1. Parked Outside
3. It Kills
5. Lost in the Woods
6. The Lottery
7. Can Rova
8. Royal Cream
9. I Am Fire
10. These Sticks