Release Date: 19 May 2014
Format: LP Vinyl
|Squarepusher X Z-Machines Music for Robots Limited Black Vinyl LP
· ‘Music For Robots’ is a five track mini album composed by
Squarepusher and performed by the three robots that comprise the Z-Machines.
· In 2013, a team of Japanese roboticists were assembled
with the challenge of creating a music-performing system
that was beyond the capabilities of the most advanced
musicians - Z-Machines were the result. The roboticists’
music producer - Kenjiro Matsuo - and his team invited a
number of Japanese composers, as well as Squarepusher, to develop music specifically for the project.
· The opportunity to explore the compositional possibilities
of a guitarist with 78 fingers and a drummer with 22 arms
was a temptation impossible to ignore. The resulting ‘Sad
Robots Goes Funny’ was a poignant and highly praised piece. A video for the track was produced by awardwinning
director Daito Manabe.
· Squarepusher approached Matsuo-san with a view to further investigate the possibilities of the collaboration.
This led to additional pieces being created, involving an
intense four weeks of composing and then two more months of transferring and adapting data, various technical hurdles and the eventual recording of ‘Music For Robots’.
· The LP is pressed on translucent blue vinyl and is limited
to 500 copies for the UK and Eire.
1. Remote Amber
2. Sad Robot Goes Funny
3. World Three
5. You Endless