Release Date: 24 February 2014
Format: LP Vinyl
|Thalia Zedek SIX Limited (300) Vinyl LP + Download
· 2013 was a notable year for Thalia Zedek. She released her first album in five years, ‘Via’, which PopMatters called a “rumbling, sweet, muscled set of tunes, as resilient as they are beautiful,” followed by a tour across North America with Low. She also reunited with Come, the classic band she formed with Chris Brokaw in 1990, reissuing their classic debut ‘Eleven:Eleven’ and playing their first shows in over a decade across the US and Europe. Following this intense flurry of activity, Thalia regrouped with herband in Boston to record an EP, harnessing the creative energy she had accumulated during her time on the road.
· ‘SIX’ is a brand new 29 minute mini-album following ‘Via’, which was praised by Pitchfork, Spin, PopMatters, Paste, American Songwriter, Magnet, and Under The Radar.
· ‘SIX’ opens with a full band version of ‘Fell So Hard’, a characteristically mournful dirge that exudes a tenacious, slowmoving intensity. Zedek explores the complexities of interpersonal relationships, employing some of the most sparse arrangements of her career. The spareness of tracks like ‘Julie Said’ and ‘Afloat’ achieve incredible emotional heft, letting Thalia’s lyrics, delivered in her unmistakable voice, take centre stage.
· Vinyl version includes free download coupon and is limited to only 300 units worldwide.
· Zedek’s band features David Michael Curry (Willard Grant Conspiracy), Mel Lederman (Victory At Sea), Winston Braman (Come), and Dave Bryson (Son Volt).
· Thalia Zedek has been a seminal figure in the independent music scene for over 30 years, as a member of Live Skull, Uzi, and Come.
· ‘SIX’ is being released in advance of Thalia’s most extensive European tour in six years.
· “Zedek specializes in thorny songs that unflinchingly address adult topics and full-grown problems, with the malleable backing of her guitar and band providing either momentary refuge or sympathetic cries of exasperation.” -
· “Over jangling guitar and a weeping violin, Zedek sings like Bob Dylan fronting a late ‘80s college radio outfit, documenting a friend or lover’s painful egress in gripping detail.” - Spin
· “One of alt-rock’s great voices” - Q Magazine
1. Fell So Hard
2. Julie Said