|Fat Possum Records
Release Date: 02 December 2013
Format: LP Vinyl
|Al Green Get's Next To You Limited Vinyl LP
· “The honey-voiced Green made some of the most visionary soul music of the Seventies” - Rolling Stone
· Al Green was the first great soul singer of the 70s and arguably the last great Southern soul singer.
· With his seductive singles for Hi Records in the early 70s, Green bridged the gap between deep soul and smooth Philadelphia soul. He incorporated elements of gospel, interjecting his performances with wild moans and wails, but his records were stylish, boasting immaculate productions that rolled along with a tight beat, sexy backing vocals and lush strings.
· The distinctive Hi Records sound that the vocalist and producer Willie Mitchell developed made Al Green the most popular and influential soul singer of the early 70s, influencing not only his contemporaries, but also veterans like Marvin Gaye.
· Green was at the peak of his popularity when he suddenly decided to join the ministry in the mid 70s. At first, he continued to record secular material, but by the 80s he was concentrating soley on gospel.
· During the late 80s and 90s he occasionally returned to R&B but he remained primarily a religious performer for the rest of his career. Nevertheless, Green’s classic early 70s recordings retained their power and influences throughout the decades, setting the standard for smooth soul.
A1 I Can't Get Next To You
A2 Are You Lonely For Me Baby
A3 God Is Standing By
A4 Tired Of Being Alone
A5 I'm A Ram
B1 Driving Wheel
B2 Light My Fire
B3 You Say It
B4 Right Now Right Now
B5 All Because